1. Start by showing your dog a toy or object that you would like them to fetch. Let them sniff it and get acquainted with it.
2. Once they seem interested in the object, start throwing it a short distance away from you.
3. As your dog goes to retrieve the object, say “fetch” or “get it.”
4. When they bring the object back to you, praise them lavishly and give them a treat as a reward.
5. With practice, you’ll be able to throw the object further and further until your dog is running across the yard to fetch it.